LOCATION: Tuskegee, Alabama
FOUNDED: July 4, 1881 by Booker T. Washington
UNIVERSITY WEBSITE : www.
PRESIDENT: Dr. Lily D. McNair
NICKNAME: Golden Tigers
UNIVERSITY COLORS: Crimson and Old Gold
CONFERENCE: Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC)
NATIONAL AFFILIATION: NCAA – Division II
Tuskegee University Points of Distinction ()
- Number one producer of African-American aerospace science engineers in the nation.
- A leading producer in the country of African-American engineering graduates in chemical, electrical and mechanical engineering.
- The top producer of African-American Ph.D. holders in Materials Science and Engineering in the U.S.
- Produced more African-American general officers in the military than any other institution, including the service academies.
- The largest producer of African-Americans with baccalaureate degrees in Math, Science and Engineering in Alabama.
- The only historically black college or university with a fully accredited College of Veterinary Medicine that offers the Doctoral Degree, and produces over 75% of the African-American veterinarians in the world.
- The only historically black college or university in the nation designated as the location for National Center for Bioethics in Research and Health Care.
- The first nursing baccalaureate program in Alabama and one of the oldest in the United States.
- Originator and producer of the famous "Tuskegee Airmen," in partnership with the U.S. Army Air Corps.
- Producer of the first African-American four-star general: Daniel "Chappie" James.
- The producer of the first African-American winner of the National Book Award, Ralph Ellison for his book, Invisible Man.
- The only college or university campus in the nation to be designated a National Historic Site by the U.S. Congress.
- A center for Plant Biotechnology Research which is training U.S. Scientists and students as well as scientists from Ghana, China快2彩票, Nigeria, South Africa, Uganda, Egypt, and Tanzania to continue work of Dr. George Washington Carver in today's cutting edge science and technology.
- One of the first centers funded by NASA to develop a technology for growing food in space during human space missions.
- The only historically black college or university, and one of only 11 universities in the world funded and authorized by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation to establish and operate a Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center, which is the technologically sophisticated hub of Continuing Education and Hospitality/Tourism Management Training.
- The offspring of two American giants, Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver.
- The only historically black college or university to maintain academic excellence while supporting a football program that exceeds a 680-win career record and many conference titles including 4 consecutive SIAC Conference Football Championships.